Hello,

Sometime yesterday calls like GenomeInfoDb::Seqinfo(genome = 'hg19') stopped
working with the error:

> Error in file(file, "rt") : cannot open the connection

From the documentation, that call relies on fetchExtendedChromInfoFromUCSC()
and requires an internet connection, which I had and continue to have. I'm not
really sure how to deal with this problem because the goldenPath link still
works (http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/goldenpath/hg19/database/chromInfo.txt.gz
<http://hgdownload.cse.ucsc.edu/goldenpath/hg19/database/chromInfo.txt.gz>), so
something else is broken...

Oddly, calls to rtracklayer::import.bed() that specify a genome work. I don't
have any BSgenome packages installed where I'm running it, and from the
documentation for genome, "An attempt will be made to derive the ‘seqinfo’ on
the return value using either an installed BSgenome package or UCSC, if network
access is available." So I would guess that rtracklayer::import.bed() would use
the same fetchExtendedChromInfoFromUCSC()...?

On a related note, is there a non-BSgenome package that has the chromosome
length / seqinfo information that doesn't require an internet connection (other
than to download the package)? BSgenome is too large to require of users just
for chromosome lengths. The org.db packages have chromosome lengths, but only
with respect to one genome version for that organism, and from the
documentation it isn't clear which version.

Thanks,
Raymond Cavalcante