On 01/27/2017 03:30 AM, Lluís Revilla wrote:
Dear Valerie,

When I talked about maintenance status I thought something on the line of
this badges at http://www.repostatus.org/ :
Maybe only the last three status are relevant to Bioconductor :

  - Active: The project has reached a stable, usable state and is being
actively developed.
  - Inactive: The project has reached a stable, usable state but is no
longer being actively developed; support/maintenance will be provided as
time allows.
  - Unsupported: The project has reached a stable, usable state but the
author(s) have ceased all work on it. A new maintainer may be desired.

I'm supportive of a clearer set of labels to replace the current 'posts' shield.

We should not equate (new) development activity with level of support: there are other badges for that; one doesn't want development for development's sake; etc.

We have to be very careful that the tags (and current discussion) provide positive reinforcement to conscientious developers / community members, rather than serving to bully or otherwise intimidate developers (sometimes silence is a constructive response, and an effective use of time).

Iterating a little

  - Active (green): frequent support questions and answers
  - Mature (green): some support questions and answers
  - Inactive (orange):  some support questions unanswered
  - Unsupported (red): (more than a few?) support questions not answered
  - Unknown (blue): no support questions

Comments are ignored in the above scheme. Activity on packages with URL: or BugReports: fields in their DESCRIPTION file is ignored. 'frequent', 'some', and 'few' could be defined based on available data.

Martin

Tweaking a bit the description it could be used to classify the support
given to a package. Given these categories and the information there is in
the repositories and in support site I suggest the following:

Giving the Active badge when there are commits (not done by the
Bioconductor project) in 6 months. Excluding the Bioconductor team is done
to prevent having packages as Active which are not, because the only change
is the version number or minor changes done by the Bioconductor team (Also,
is not the responsibility of the Bioconductor team to maintain the
packages, is it?). Or when at least once every six months the package
maintainer answers or comments a question (tagged with the package tag) in
the support site if there is any.As an example edgeR would be Active, it
has commits from the maintainers in the last 6 months.

If a question tagged with a package tag is unanswered and the maintainer
hasn't answered/commented in the last 6 months or there isn't any commit in
the last 6 months the package (by the maintainer or other than the
Bioconductor team) could be set to Inactive. CorMut would be Inactive and
close to the Unsupported status.

If there is any unanswered question tagged with a package tag and the
maintainer hasn't answered/commented in the last year and there isn't any
commit from the maintainer in the last 2 years, I would give the
Unsupported tag to that package. topGO would be in that category.

Once Unsupported status is reached the team could try to contact the
maintainer to let him/her know that the maintainer position could be taken
by somebody else willing to. Of course, if he/she makes commits or
answers/comment questions in the support site to make the status of the
package back to Active he/she could keep the maintainer status.

This system could be along with the current End of Life Policy, or not, but
gives an opportunity to the community of users to maintain a package they
deem useful. It is a bit more complex but would guide much better on what
packages are well supported and not only used. and those used but not
supported could be saved from Deprecation.

HTH,

Lluís

On 18 January 2017 at 17:52, Obenchain, Valerie <