Hi,

The devel version of our package 'msa' currently does not compile on veracruz2 (R 3.4.0 alpha under OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan), but it seems to work on toluca2 (R-devel on OS X 10.9.5 Mavericks). I also checked on my Mac at home (R 3.3.3 under macOS 10.12.3 Sierra using the very latest version of Xcode), and it also compiles without any problems.

The error stems from a conflicting definition of the math functions 'log2' and 'log10' in the source code of the ClustalOmega library which is integrated into 'msa' (the same error appears for the inline definition of 'log10'):

hhalign/util-C.h:53:14: error: 'log2' is missing exception specification 'throw()' inline float log2(float x) {return (x<=0? (float)(-100000):1.442695041*log(x));}

Any ideas? 'log2' and 'log10' are defined in the standard math library. The definitions work well on Linux along with '#include <cmath>' , while Windows requires '#include <math.h>'. So far, '#include <cmath>' also worked on Mac OS, but it seems that now, on veracruz2, neither one nor the other works. Any thoughts? Is this something I should care about or is there something exotic about veracruz2 such that I can simply ignore this issue?

Thanks a lot in advance and best regards,

Ulrich