Forgot to mention that here's how news() select which file to parse if
there are several:

## Look for new-style inst/NEWS.Rd installed as NEWS.Rd
## If not found, look for NEWS.md.
## If not found, look at old-style
## NEWS inst/NEWS
## installed as NEWS (and ignore ChangeLog files).

Source:
https://github.com/wch/r-source/blob/d20943d71407f9209cb6c7581ac0fce3b3517419/src/library/tools/R/news.R#L62-L66

/Henrik