Hi all,

in the BridgeDbR package I have a TSL issue, just on Windows10 [0]:

> location <- getDatabase("Bacillus subtilis")
Error in function (type, msg, asError = TRUE)  :
  error:1407742E:SSL routines:SSL23_GET_SERVER_HELLO:tlsv1 alert
protocol version
Calls: getDatabase ... getBridgeNames -> curlPerform -> <Anonymous> -> fun
Execution halted

This method is using the download.file() method (see [1]). I am not sure
what this method uses by default. I have been googling and found a number
of suggestions on how to get RCurl to use other SSL version, such as:

CURL_SSLVERSION_TLSv1_2 <- 1Lopts <- RCurl::curlOptions(  verbose =
TRUE, sslversion = CURL_SSLVERSION_TLSv1_2)download.file(url, file,
mode = "wb", .opts=opts)

But I haven't found something that works. Error messages are very cryptic,
and I'm running out of ideas.

Does someone have a suggestion how to debug this? Maybe even have a
solution?

All feedback is very much appreciated!

Egon

0.
https://bioconductor.org/checkResults/release/bioc-LATEST/BridgeDbR/tokay1-checksrc.html
1.https://github.com/bridgedb/BridgeDbR/blob/master/R/getDatabase.R#L23

--
Hi, do you like citation networks? Already 51% of all citations are
available <https://i4oc.org/> available for innovative new uses

-----
E.L. Willighagen
Department of Bioinformatics - BiGCaT