Itemizing brings semantics and structure. Plus, the \preformatted solution doesn't look good either IMO. FWIW I mostly care about what I see when I open the man page in a terminal with ?<foo>. I don't care so much about the PDF manual, never look at it.

So I'm going to switch from

  \item{}{\code{show(x)}:
  }

  \item{\code{show(x)}:}{
  }

as suggested by Henrik.

I actually tried the latter many years ago and compared with the former and for some reason decided to go for the former. But now I like the rendering of the latter better. Don't know if it has changed or if my taste has changed ;-)

Anyways, that's hundreds of \items that I need to fix in a dozen of packages. Not fun! Also the thing with the exact location of the colon is very error prone. As Michael said, it would be nice to be able to achieve this with a simpler/more natural syntax.

H.