Hi Mark,

There has been talk in the past about a groovier version of BioJava or at the very least showing where Groovy can help to reduce the verbosity of some parts of the biojava framework. I've done a tiny bit but my work has only been into prototyping Java code & quickly asserting some assumptions I had about BioJava (as in how the framework works).

What would be a brilliant step in a Groovier BioJava is to start levering the builders (http://groovy.codehaus.org/Builders). I mean imagine being able to write something like:

def myReferences = getReferences();

new EmblBuilder().build {
        id('U00096')
        myReferences.each{ ref ->
                reference {
                        //
                }
        }
}

I admit it's not a fully formed idea at the moment but hopefully you can see where I'm going with this :)

WRT Grails; our supported BioSQL API is written in Hibernate; just the same as GORM (Grails' ORM solution). So technically I cannot see a reason why it wouldn't be possible; my only wonder is how Grails controls transaction boundaries and translating this to our BioSQL.

Andy

Mark Fortner wrote:
I've been using the biojava library with groovy lately and I ran
across the BioGroovy.org site.  The site seems to be a placeholder and
doesn't really have much information on it.  I was wondering if it was
an official Bio* site?  Has anyone else been using Groovy (or any
other scripting languages) with BioJava?

Also has anyone looked at using Grails with BioSQL?  It would seem
like an easy way to get something started quickly.

Regards,