Osiris Raises $50 Million to Commercialize First Stem Cell Products;
Proceeds will advance three promising treatments currently in human
trials

Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. announces that it has finalized a $50
million aggregate private investment round through equity and
convertible debt. The financing will fund the company's three
ongoing clinical trial programs using their proprietary adult stem
cell technology platform. The round was arranged by Swiss investment
firm Friedli Corporate Finance, Inc.

"With this successful funding round and the progress being made in
the three clinical trials, Osiris continues to demonstrate its
ability to execute its commercialization plan," said Chairman of the
Board, Peter Friedli. Mr. Friedli is one of the founders of Osiris
and was instrumental in arranging the current financing.

"This level of support signifies the confidence our investors have
in Osiris to be the first company to bring a stem cell therapy to
market," said C. Randal Mills, PhD, President and CEO of Osiris. "As
always, we are pleased with the unwavering support of our loyal
investors, and we welcome the new investors who participated in the
round. The proceeds will be used to aggressively advance our product
commercialization plans and bring these revolutionary treatments to
patients in need."

The first product, Prochymal(TM), now in Phase II clinical trials,
is a formulation of adult stem cells to treat Graft versus Host
Disease (GvHD), a life threatening disease afflicting leukemia
patients who have received a bone marrow transplant. Osiris has
recently enrolled several prominent cancer centers in the trial
including the M.D. Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas, one of
the world's leading bone marrow transplant facilities. "We are
hopeful that this therapy may be a viable treatment option for
patients suffering from this direct complication of
transplantation," said Partow Kebriaei, MD, Assistant Professor,
Blood and Marrow Transplantation at M.D. Anderson. "The treatments
available to us currently for Gastrointestinal GvHD are marginally
effective at best, which makes Prochymal a potentially significant
breakthrough."

The second product, Provacel(TM), a formulation of stem cells to
repair damaged heart tissue following heart attack, is enrolling
patients in a Phase I clinical trial. In preclinical studies,
Provacel reversed the damage caused by a heart attack and
significantly improved cardiac function. "This is a landmark study
that could ultimately benefit hundreds of thousands of patients a
year" said Nabil Dib, MD, Chief of Cardiovascular Research at the
Arizona Heart Institute. "The aim is to develop a stem cell product
that will repair the damage caused by a heart attack and prevent the
progression to heart failure."

Most recently, Osiris won approval from FDA to begin a Phase I/II
study for its third product, Chondrogen(TM), an injection of stem
cells formulated to repair damaged tissue in the knee joint and
prevent the progression of arthritis. Chondrogen, in development at
Osiris since 1999, has shown encouraging preclinical results that
served as the basis for FDA's decision. "The product has undergone
rigorous preclinical testing over the past six years and has shown
the ability to regrow functional meniscal tissue in as little as six
weeks," said C. Thomas Vangsness Jr., MD, Professor of Orthopedic
Surgery and Chief of Sports Medicine at the University of Southern
California's Keck School of Medicine. "More importantly, the product
prevented the progression of osteoarthritis in the knee."

Further portions of the proceeds will fund the continued enrichment
of the company's product pipeline and expand the company's extensive
intellectual property portfolio. The company currently holds more
than one hundred issued domestic and foreign patents, with over a
hundred more in various stages of approval. "Maintaining our current
patent portfolio and seeing our applications through to patent
grants will further solidify our already dominant intellectual
property position," said Cary J. Claiborne, Osiris' CFO. "This will
be especially critical as we begin to commercialize our stem cell
products and assert our considerable intellectual property rights."

About Osiris Therapeutics

Osiris Therapeutics, Inc. is the leader in adult stem cell therapy.
The stem cells produced by Osiris are obtained from adult volunteer
donors, avoiding the technical problems and controversy surrounding
other stem cell technologies. Using proprietary methods, these cells
are grown in culture to very high numbers, allowing a single donor's
cells to treat thousands of patients. These cells are universal in
that they can be used in patients unrelated to the donor, without
rejection, eliminating the need for donor matching and recipient
immune suppression. Once transplanted, the cells promote healing of
damaged or diseased tissues.

About Friedli Corporate Finance

Friedli Corporate Finance was founded by Peter Friedli in 1986 and
is one of the leading Swiss venture capital firms. Since its
inception, Friedli Corporate Finance has invested in over 170
biotechnology and technology companies, primarily based in the US.
Friedli Corporate Finance manages several investment companies for
pension funds, banks and large corporations in Switzerland. Peter
Friedli is also the manager of New Venturetec, a public investment
company listed on the Swiss exchange. www.newventuretec.com

For information about Osiris and our ongoing clinical trials, visit
our website at www.OsirisTx.com.

http://www.arizonabiotech.com/
http://www.arizonaentrepreneurs.com/
http://www.azhttp.com/