----- Original Message -----
From: Gary & Angela
To: ontbirds
Sent: Sunday, January 12, 2003 1:58 PM
Subject: Mashkinonje-N.Monetville CBC

Happy New Year to All,
    Our first CBC was held on Sat. Jan 4th.   14 field observers from
Nipissing and Sudbury Naturalists Clubs, Sudbury Ornithological Society and
Ontario Parks took part.  There were also 17 feeder watchers.  The
Mashkinonje-North Monetville area is at the west end of Lake Nipissing,
taking in the West Bay and the West Arm, centered by the Mashkinonje
Provincial Park.  There is abundant water, the majority was frozen with 3
narrow open areas.  Hwy 64 south bisects the area. It was a cloudy day with
an average temperature of -5C and a light south wind.  The day before 10
centimeters of snow fell, we did not have complete snow coverage prior to
that.
     We identified 1,277 individuals and 29 species.  We were watching Great
Blue Herons but only managed to get one the first day of our count week.
Our area highlights are as  follows: House Sparrows, Spruce Grouse, Boreal
Chickadee and White-winged Crossbills east of North Monetville; two Northern
Shrike, a Great Horned Owl, a Roughed-legged Hawk and a Brown Creeper in the
Lavigne area; Gray Jays, Pileated Woodpeckers, Snow Buntings, Mourning
Doves,  American Tree Sparrows and American Goldfinches were found
throughout.  Other species are Ruffed Grouse, Rock Dove, Downy and Hairy
Woodpeckers, Common Raven, Blue jay, Black-capped Chickadee,  White and
Red-breasted Nuthatches, Europeon Starling, Dark-eyed Junco, Common Redpoll,
Purple Finch and Pine Siskin(only a few each of the latter four).
   Hope you have a great year bird watching.

Angela Martin,
President, Friends of Mashkinonje,
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]
705- 594-2745