WEEKLY BIRD REPORT FOR THE QUINTE AREA for Sunday, January 19, 2003

The male VARIED THRUSH which appeared early this month at a feeder at 383
Prinyer's Cove Crescent, is still being seen daily by birders who make the
trip to Prinyer's Cove, 17 km east of Lake-on-the-Mountain. Morning still
seems to be the time of the day when the bird is most dependable.
Apparently, a second bird, a female, reported earlier by the operator of the
feeder, has been confirmed by one observer. If anyone knows the identity of
the observer who confirmed the female, please e-mail me as I would like this
information for our Prince Edward County records. There is also a
RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER coming to this same feeder.

Feeders elsewhere are reporting good success with MOURNING DOVES numbering
60 or more at some feeders. Similar numbers are at my feeder, although a
male COOPER'S HAWK  snatches a MOURNING DOVE  on the average of once every
two days. The CAROLINA WREN at 23 Sprague Road, is seen on a regular basis
most days, dividing its time between Timbits, suet, peanut butter, and the
heated bird bath. A Smith's Bay feeder has a high of 5 WHITE-THROATED
SPARROWS coming, and several SONG SPARROWS, in addition to a BROWN CREEPER
and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET on the premises. Thirteen species of birds are
coming to my 22 feeders with highs of 32 TREE SPARROWS, 26 HOUSE FINCHES, 43
BROWN-HEADED COWBIRDS, 30 HOUSE SPARROWS and 13 BLUE JAYS, in addition to
the previously mentioned MOURNING DOVES and regulars. Eight WILD TURKEYS
have been coming to a feeder at Chuckery Hill.

So many reports of BALD EAGLES came in during the week, it is difficult to
determine which ones are repeat sightings and which are new birds. Reports
came in from the Prince Edward Point National Wildlife Area, Prince Edward
Bay, Kaiser Crossroad, Smith's Bay, Adolphus Reach and Cressy. RED-TAILED
HAWKS during the week were seen at Mountain View, Black River, and Bongard
Road.

As frigid weather seals up the lakes and bays around the county, waterfowl
is becoming much more difficult to locate. Prince Edward Point today had
COMMON GOLDENEYE, LONG-TAILED DUCKS, GREATER SCAUP, MALLARDS and AMERICAN
BLACKS. During mid-week, COMMON MERGANSERS, 1 WHITE-WINGED SCOTER and CANADA
GEESE had also been seen. There are three TRUMPETER SWANS (2 adults & one
immature) in Lake Ontario between Cressy Lakeside Road and Kaiser Crossroad,
seen on Wednesday. TUNDRA SWANS numbering 25 continue to be seen in the
Smith's Bay and Waupoos area.

Other good sightings during the week included WHITE-THROATED SPARROW east of
Lake-on-the-Mountain, a WINTER WREN on Tuesday at the Prince Edward Point
lighthouse, 43 WILD TURKEYS at the Sandbanks' Woodland Campground  on
Wednesday, a wintering TURKEY VULTURE west of Gravelley Bay Road, 4 HORNED
LARKS near Waupoos, and a BELTED KINGFISHER today at Cressy. Outside the
county, 44 WILD TURKEYS were found along Sidney Street north of the 401 at
Belleville, and a GLAUCOUS GULL was seen at Cobourg on Monday.

And that's it for this week from Prince Edward County and the Quinte area.
Our thanks to Joe Victor, Don Craighead, Keith Edgett, Lloyd Paul, Mark
Cranford (OntBirds), Nancy Fox, Sergio de Sousa, Shirley Preston, Jack
Lashley, Bob Sachs, Fran Donaldson and Joanne Dewey for their contributions
to this week's report. This report will be updated by 8:00 p.m. on Sunday,
January 26th. Bird sightings must be in by 6:00 p.m. on Sunday evening to be
included in the next report. Good winter birding !

Terry Sprague
Picton, Ontario
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.naturestuff.net