Krider’s Red-tailed Hawk (adult)—Thursday, Feb. 6—11 a.m., Abandoned CN spur
at Bond Ave. (Leslie and Lawrence).
There were four Redtails in this open area.  This bird had a white tail with
a touch of pink by the dark tip. Since it is only a "variant" I cannot
recall seeing one in southern Ontario before.

Northern Goshawk (immature)—Wednesday, Feb. 5—11 a.m., Mount Pleasant
Cemetery ~200 metres west of Mount Pleasant entrance.  I was leading a TFN
outing and had just discussed the search image for owls.  We all walked
right by a spruce tree when someone spotted this “owl” hiding in the foliage
about 20 metres from us.  Owl-like, it remained partly concealed, providing
walk-away looks. Given the abundance of prey (Grey Squirrels), I suspect the
bird may remain for a while.

Long-eared Owls (three+)—Friday, January 31, 6 p.m., Humber Bay East Park.
The owls roost in the Scots Pines. Best to come for sunset when a) you can
see the birds flying against the western sky and b) you do not disturb them.

Directions
Abandoned Railroad.  This new yet-unnamed public trail extends almost from
Eglinton to York Mills.  It provides shrub-filled ditches backed by Douglas
Firs and many bird feeders. To-day birdsong was limited to Cardinals and
Mourning Doves but judging by the number of nests near Bond Park, breeding
birds must be abundant. The best access is at Lawrence Avenue at Leslie
(free parking at Civic Garden Centre) whence you can walk 1 3/4 kms north or
south.  At both ends the spur terminates at live tracks (private property)
beyond which there is video surveillance (= railroad cops).

George Bryant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"George Bryant" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>