Up early at my sister's home in Stoney Creek this morning, I realized
that I had a few free hours before everyone rolled out of bed, so I
grabbed my binos, jumped in the car and drove out to Fisherville.  I
birded the 6th Concession exclusively (based on limited time) and had
very good views of the following: approximately 14 SHORT-EARED OWLS
(they basically exploded from a tree and flew off in all directions at
once),
one female NORTHERN HARRIER, one light-phase ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK,
and a dozen HORNED LARKS.  I returned to Stoney Creek to find breakfast
waiting and my brother-in-law rolling his eyes.  ("You drove out to
Fisherville to look for birds at 6:30 in the morning?")  I nodded and
asked for some bacon.

Returning home to Newmarket late in the day, I dropped my wife off, then

spent an hour driving around the Holland Marsh just west of Newmarket
and south of Bradford.  At Hwy. 9 and Jane St., a dark-phase
ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK soared southward toward Kettleby.  Based on Garth
Baker's report from Saturday, I drove to Day St, just off Canal Road,
east of Hwy. 400.  I could not find the Snowy Owl he'd reported, but
took great pleasure in watching a very sleek male NORTHERN HARRIER
hunting low over the fields south of Devald St.

The harrier suddenly dipped out of sight as if he'd gone after something

behind a row of bullrushes, then rose again, followed by the adult male
SNOWY OWL (described in Garth's post), brawny, pure white and obviously
agitated!  The harrier, however, proved more agile and aggressive in the

arial show that followed, perhaps defending a territory he'd refused to
leave back in the autumn.  He stayed above the owl, diving at it several

times while the larger white raptor swiveled its head back and forth in
an effort to keep the harrier in sight.  Eventually, the owl banked
sharply and landed on a stump, allowing the harrier to continue on its
way eastward.

I returned to Canal Road and proceeded to Tornado Drive, where another
Snowy has been lingering for at least two weeks.  I had trouble
rediscovering it, but eventually spotted the bird hunting low over the
fields southeast of Tornado and Simcoe Rd.

There are at least three Snowy Owls out in the Holland Marsh this
winter, the adult male referred to above and two female/juvenile birds,
but they are not always easy to find.
The Holland Marsh is easily accessible from Hwy. 400.  From the south,
take the Canal Road exit a few kms. north of Hwy. 9.  Drive to the
Farmer's Market building (you truly can't miss it), then turn right
(east) on Canal Road.

Fisherville is a small town down by Lake Erie.  It is southwest of
Cayuga.  I usually take Hwy. 3 across to Nelle's Corners, then turn
south.  After a few kms. you will come to a little green sign for
Fisherville.  Turn right (south) and keep your eyes peeled for the 6th
Concession.  Turn right (west).  The Short-ears are usually found on the

south side of the road near Pine Row Farms, east of the Raptor Reserve.

Ron Fleming, Newmarket

"Ronald J. Fleming" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>