This morning I went out looking to find any manure being spread in the
general vicinity of the Brampton Airport hoping to find some Lapland
Longspurs. Instead, on McLaughlin Road, just south of Old School Road I saw
a flock of some 100 Snow Buntings rise out of a field just north of Mayfield
Road and a Falcon chasing them. It was a Merlin and being unsuccessful in
the hunt, landed in a tree in front of me. It sat for a few moments and then
suddenly took flight northerly towards a silo with Rock Doves roosting on
top. I began following the bird in my car, and did so for approximately a
kilometer and a half. I took note of my speedometer and saw that I was
driving at 90 kph directly behind and following the bird and despite the
speed I was traveling , it was leaving me behind!!  I estimated the bird to
be flying at well over 100 kph in level flight. Being unsuccessful again it
once again lit on top of a utility pole giving me remarkable looks at this
beautiful bird.

The point of this posting is simply to remark upon the tremendous
capabilities speedwise of this Falcon. An amazing encounter.

This is the second or third time this winter I've seen a Merlin in roughly
the same area that being McLaughlin Road and  Old School Road.

Terry Osborne

"Terry Osborne" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>