Hi birders,
Now that spring is here, I will be spending more time at Rondeau!  Yesterday
I heard 2 SANDHILL CRANES on the east beach off south point trail light
beacon.  I went to investigate and observed two standing  on the beach.
They later flew towards the marsh.  They were still calling in the marsh
this morning (Sun.).
There are a few EASTERN PHOEBES in the park.  One was along Gardiner
Ave.(near V. C.) and a couple of others along south point trail.
There are some FOX SPARROWS in various spots.  Although some may have
wintered, I believe some are fresh migrants.
The Bay is still mostly frozen, but there are some open areas with
waterfowl.  One viewing spot is at the boat launch just inside the park
gate.  At Erieau there is abundant open water with quite a number of
species.  Out in the lake from Erieau  Pier are tens of thousands of scaup.

South Point trail is at the end of Lakeshore Rd. on the easterly side of the
park.
Blake  A. Mann
Wallaceburg,
Chatham-Kent, Ont.