Good day (night) fellow birders. I know it is late but that the way it is
when I go out birding.

 Today Saturday, March 29, 2003 Stan Bajurny and I again went down to the
Long Point area and a fine day it turned out to be despite the weather. We
arrived at Old Cut Woods after a few stops just as the rain stopped and the
temperature dropped and the following are some of the hi-lites from the
woods and in Long Point Provincial Park.

 We saw 8 species of sparrows including the following:
- Song Sparrow - 52
- Field Sparrow - 2
- Savanah Sparrow - 1
- Chipping Sparrow - 4
- Fox Sparrow - 19 - lots of singing
- Eastern Towhee - 4

Other species of note and in no particular order were:
- Eastern Phoebe - 12
- Yellow-rumped Warbler - 2
- Brown Creeper - 6
- Hermit Thrush - 1 - well seen
- Northern Flicker - 84
- Eastern Meadowlark - 2
- Yellow-bellied sapsucker - 4
- Wilson's Snipe -1
- Bonaparte's Gull - 100+

After finishing up here we went on up to the Triple Bridge area and not much
was seen except that the blackbird numbers were up with 150+ Rusty
Blackbirds, 250+ Common Grackles and 150+ Red-winged Blackbirds and several
men spearing Northern Pike (Legal ???). The blackbirds hang out at the
eastern end of the area and you will hear them long before you see them. WE
also had 6 Turkey Vultures overhead here.

Note: The 3 Brewer's Blackbirds seen here on Mar. 22 were again seen by
others on the 23rd so they may still be there. We didn't look for them as we
were anxious to go to Townsend.

 From here it was off to the Townsend sewage lagoons and an even more
exiting time.

Norm Murr
Richmond Hill, ON
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

DIRECTIONS

OLD CUT WOODS AT LONG POINT

Old Cut Woods at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port
Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton, passing
through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3, drive to
Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves
to the west south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive right down
about 8 km and past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway.

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The
road comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left through the cottage /
retail business area. Continue driving until you come to Old Cut Road. Turn
left and drive a couple of hundred yards down this road (you will see the
entrance to the banding area on your right) this is the entrance to Old Cut
Woods. Drive another 100 feet or so and you will see a parking area on your
left. Park here and walk across the road to the woods.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

LONG POINT PROVINCIAL PARK (FEE IN SEASON)

The Provincial Park at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south
of Port Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton,
passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto Hwy 3,
drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy 59,
( it curves to the west south of town) turn left, south on Hwy 59 and drive
right down about 8 km and past the golf coarse and you will be on the
causeway.

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The
road comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left through the cottage /
retail business area. Continue driving along this road passing Old Cut Road
and you will come to the park entrance.

If the park is closed for the season as it is now then park here (or back at
the Old Cut parking area as mentioned above) being sure not to block road
and walk into the park.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

TRIPLE BRIDGE AT PORT ROYAL / PORT ROWAN ON A CONCESSION

To reach the triple bridge area you can drive south on Hwy 6 from Hamilton,
passing through Hagersville and turning right (west) in Jarvis onto Hwy 3,
drive west to Simcoe and turn left (south) on Hwy 24 and follow this to Hwy
59, turn left (south) on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 7 km to A
Concession Road (just before the golf coarse on your right and just south of
the OPP station also on your right.

Turn right (west) here and follow the road to Big Creek. You will come to 3
bridges only a couple hundred yards apart.

Or you can drive past A Concession Road to Lakeshore Rd at the putting
coarse. Turn right (west) here and drive past Lee Brown Conservation Area to
the next road which is West 1/4 Line EXT. Turn right (north here and drive
about 2km to A Concession Road. Turn right (east) and drive about 1 km to
the bridges.

"Norm Murr" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>