Wayne Renaud and I birded the Long Point Area today. We did not find the
Eurasian wigeon despite repeated visited to the Lee Brown
Waterfowl viewing area.

Most noticeable birds today were 1 greater yellowlegs and 2 lesser yellowlegs
in the marsh viewable at the start of Big Creek Marsh.
They were mixed in with a good number of green-winged teals.

On the opposite side of the marsh, along the bank of vegetation next to a
house, we spotted 4 dunlin in winter plumage.

At the lookout to the Turkey Point Marsh, we saw 4 sandhill cranes flying over
and a bald eagle out over the water being harassed by
gulls.

At Old Cut, myrtle warblers and a red-headed woodpecker were reported but we
did not see either. We did manage to get winter wren
and a fox sparrow.

There was a noticeable lack of fresh passerine migrants and very few insects
flying around, hopefully the warm weather over the next
few days will correct that.

DIRECTIONS

OLD CUT WOODS AT LONG POINT

Old Cut Woods at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of Port
Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6 from
Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis onto
Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy 24
and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west south of town) turn left,
south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and
past the golf coarse and you will be on the causeway.

Drive on across the bridge and continue past the marina on your left. The road
comes to Lake Erie where it curves to the left
through the cottage / retail business area. Continue driving until you come to
Old Cut Road. Turn left and drive a couple of hundred
yards down this road (you will see the entrance to the banding area on your
right) this is the entrance to Old Cut Woods. Drive
another 100 feet or so and you will see a parking area on your left. Park here
and walk across the road to the woods.

NOTE: Be sure to lock your car and put your valuables out of sight).

Big Creek Marsh

The Provincial Park at Long Point is southwest of Hamilton, directly south of
Port Rowan. To reach it you can drive south on Hwy 6
from Hamilton, passing through Hagersville and turning right, west in Jarvis
onto Hwy 3, drive to Simcoe and turn left, south on Hwy
24 and follow this to Hwy 59, ( it curves to the west south of town) turn left,
south on Hwy 59 and drive right down about 8 km and
past the golf course and you will be on the causeway.

Good Birding
Jacques Giraud & Wayne Renaud

"Jacques Giraud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>