Dear Ontbirders:

Due to some recent misunderstandings, I am posting some important notes of
clarification about the Hillman Marsh Shorebird habitat.

First, a belated thanks to all birders who visited the new spring shorebird
habitat at Hillman Marsh Conservation Area this past April and May. A superb
total of 26 species of shorebirds, 17 species of waterfowl, and 10 gulls and
terns, made the launch of the habitat a great success. Hats off to the Essex
Region Conservation Authority, Ducks Unlimited, and all the partners who
made this project possible. I think we will see this habitat getting better
and better each spring.

Second, an important point of clarification about the seasonality of the
project. The site will be managed for shorebird habitat ONLY IN THE SPRING.
There are two important reasons for this. First, the birders ERCA sought
advice from on the project (myself included) agreed this was the best
approach. Our advice was based upon the difficulty of managing a shorebird
habitat on a spring through fall basis. The biggest problem is the rapid
development of invasive aquatic vegetation. The result is that the habitat
is good in neither fall or spring in short order. By flooding in spring,
draining and planting with a crop in summer, and flooding again later in
fall, the hope is that habitat will require minimal maintenance and provide
good spring habitat for a long period of time.

In addition, the late fall flooding provides waterfowl resting habitat, and
allows the project to fulfill goals of DU. As DU was the primary funder of
the $800,000 capital cost of the project, and the creation of shorebird
habitat is not one of their mandates, this compromise is a real win for
shorebirds and birders. Also keep in mind, that although there may not be
shorebird habitat in fall, there will be excellent habitat for waterfowl,
and viewing opportunities should be good. I will keep birders posted on when
the impoundment gets flooded this fall.

Finally, for those folks who bought an annual pass to the site, please keep
in mind that your pass is good not only at Hillman Marsh but to all of ERCAs
sites. Among those Holiday Beach Conservation Area is certainly one well
worth a visit in fall. It is a superb raptor and diurnal migration site,
with regular songbird banding and raptor banding demonstrations, and a hawk
festival on fall weekends (for more info, check out www.erca.org).

I look forward to bumping into Ontbirders at either the shorebird habitat or
Holiday Beach this fall. Thanks again to all who supported this great
project.

Cheers, Tom

Hillman Marsh is located in southeastern Essex County, about a 5 minute
drive east of Leamington. For directions please visit the ERCA website at
www.erca.org

Tom Hince
Wild Rose Guest House              On the web at:
http://www.netcore.ca/~peleetom
RR#1 (21298 Harbour Rd.)
Wheatley, ONT.                                 (gateway to Point Pelee
National Park)
N0P 2P0    Canada
(519) 825-9070 (phone/voice)    (519) 825-9169 (fax)
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"Tom Hince" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.