Hi Ontbirders,

Bill Gilmour and I did the weekly IBA shorebird survey at Presqu'ile
this morning finding 150 individuals of 11 species - rather poor for
this time of year.  Several birds appeared to be arriving while we did
the survey so perhaps more birds will come in as the front passes over.
Nothing really unusual was seen except for a juv. Solitary Sandpiper at
waters' edge on Beach 3 - hardly typical habitat!  We also recorded the
survey's first White-rumped S/p of fall.  Most birds were on Beach 3 and
4, and on Gull Island, as seen from Owen Pt. (general access to the
island begins on 10 Sep.).  The peep spp and birds of unknown age were
mostly on Gull Is. - too far away to see well enough to age.

Results:

7 B-b Plover (7a)
31 Semi Plover (3a,22j,6u)
1 Killdeer (1a)
6 L Yellowlegs (6j)
1 Solitary S/p (1j)
5 Spotted S/p (2a,3j)
1 R Turnstone (1a)
54 Semi S/p (29j,25u)
21 Least S/p (11j,10u)
1 White-rumped S/p (1a)
12 Baird's S/p (12j)
10 peep spp. (10u)

Otherwise the park still seems pretty quiet still, the highlight being
an Olive-sided Flycatcher yesterday at the Pioneer parking lot (on
Lighthouse Lane between to two day-use picnic areas).

Directions:  Presqu'ile is best reached by taking the Brighton exit off
Hwy 401 and following the park signs through town.

Cheers,

Doug McRae

Doug McRae <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.