Birders,

This morning I went to Port Huron to see what the northwest wind would blow
in, and almost immediately on arrival (9:30 a.m.) I saw two juvenile
Sabine's Gulls flying together toward me.  About 400 yards away, the birds
turned west and were lost from view behind a building (I was watching from
Edison Park at the St. Clair River mouth).  I suspected the birds might have
made landfall at Lighthouse Park a short distance north, and indeed when I
arrived around 10:00 the birds were feeding just off the beach with about 35
Bonaparte's Gulls and a few Ring-billed and Herring Gulls.

I watched, and attempted to digiscope the two Sabine's over the next hour
and a half, when I eventually noticed another interesting bird sitting
briefly on the beach.  I got the scope on it for a few seconds and
determined that it was a first winter Mew Gull before it took off and joined
the feeding flock offshore.  I managed some notes and a couple of digiscoped
photos of the bird in flight.  Soon after, two people walking their dog came
down the beach and flushed all the gulls much farther into the lake (the
Sabine's were last seen heading northeast, after briefly passing Point
Edward, Ontario).  I waited for another half hour and the Mew Gull did not
reappear.  This bird would appear to be of either the European race (canus)
or the east Asian race (kamschatkensis), as it was very white below with
brown only visible on the wing coverts.

Other interesting birds here included 2 White-winged Scoters and 10 Surf
Scoters.  There were no loons or jaegers this morning, at least none that I
noticed.

To find Lighthouse Park in Port Huron, from M-25 go east on Garfield Street
(Hancock is closed for construction) to the T intersection with Omar Street.
Turn left onto Omar St. and the parking area for Lighthouse Park is about
100 yards on the right.  From the parking area, walk to the beach which is
past the brick restrooms.

Allen Chartier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1442 West River Park Drive