Birders,

I saw this bird yesterday in the below mentioned spot behaving like a Cattle Egret. It was feeding in the field several hundred metres from a herd of cattle. Having been flushed by a flock of gulls, it settled down right next to the cattle. The cows immediately became suspicious and the nearest individuals tried to stare the bird down. Then, one cow chased to bird. She walked after the egret which walked away for about ten metres. When the bird continued to stand its ground the cow chased it again. This performance she repeated until the cow and the egret ended up on the other side of the field several hundred metres away from their original position. It seemed to me that the Egret was trying to do what Cattle Egrets do, but the cows, not having seen an Egret before, wanted to have nothing to do with it.

Ken Clarke
of Straford and London

as per Mike Pickup: The location is on Hwy #21 south of Port Elgin just past the 4th Conc
Saugeen, in the field on the west side of the highway. It is easily seen
from the hwy.  The 4th Conc is the road you turn off the hwy to get to
MacGregor Park.

Help STOP SPAM with the new MSN 8 and get 2 months FREE* http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

"Ken Clarke" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.