1.) RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD: The Yandts, owners of the house at #24 King Pitt
phoned me on Nov. 21, about a strange Hummingbird. that has been coming to
their hummingbird feeder for several days. Their description implied a
RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. My grandson and I went to the house around 10 a.m. and
we watched the feeder for 10 or 15 minutes when the bird appeared briefly. I
had only a quick 3 second look at the bird at 10:30 a.m., and felt sure it
was a RUFOUS HUMMINGBIRD. The bird returned to the feeder at 10:50 a.m. My
Gandson and I both had it in our binoculars for 15 to 20 seconds while it
fed at the hummingbird feeder before it flew off again. We had had a good
side view in bright sunlight. It was so rufous-brown all the way up the back
and breast I was sure it was an adult male RUFOUS and could not have been a
similar ALLENS HUMMINGBIRD.
Mrs. Yandt had advised us that the RUFOUS was frequently seen leaving the
feeder and flying  up into the large Cedar that is to the west of the
feeder. We witnessed this also.

Directions: from Hwy 401 @ km. 623 go south on Hwy 15 to the T-junction at
Hwy 2 and then east on #2 Hwy to King Pitt Rd., then south on King Pitt Rd.
to #24 at the end of the Road.

Conditions: The owners are birder-friendly. They request that visiting
birders not block the streets or driveways Please visit in small groups, 5
or 6 persons at a time are welcome to watch the hummingbird feeder on the
south side of the house from a distance of 20 ft. A good vantage point is
the row of  rocks at about that distance south of the feeder.

Good Luck.

2.) NORTHERN GANNET: Nov. 21, around noon at Wolfe I. while watching TUNDRA
SWANS at Button Bay a very large dark bird flew past, along the north side
of the Bay at about eye level.  My first impression that it might be a loon
was quickly dismissed when I saw the silhouette was different: no legs
extending behind the tail. The foreparts were much too bulky. The long beak
was dark, heavy at the base, and tapered. When I had a view from behind, the
wings were very much longer than a loon's. From the side view the extremely
long pointed wings and the deep wing beat led me to conclude it was a
juvenile N. GANNET. I did not see the bird again after it flew off to the
northwest.

Bob Sachs, Kingston Ontario

"Bob Sachs" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.