Jan Slumkoski and I were out birding this morning (Sunday, Dec 28, 2003).
After seeing the Red-throated Loon on the Ottawa River off Britannia Point,
we headed up towards Almonte to see the previously reported Hawk Owl and
Black-headed Grosbeak.
The Hawk Owl was found at about 10:30 am at the top of a tree near the barn
at #283 Old Union Hall Road.  While viewing the owl through the scope, a
flock of White-winged Crossbills landed in the same tree.  From there, we
proceeded to #339 Bellamy Road and had a good view of the Black-headed
Grossbeak perched in the tree behind the feeder.
All in all, a very productive morning.

Directions:

Red-throated Loon: see "Britannia Conservation Area" and "Britannia Point"
at the Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club web page
http://home.achilles.net/~ofnc/britanniabirding.html#bca

Hawk Owl and White-winged Crossbills: From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west of
Kanata towards Arnprior and exit at March Road.(#155) Turn left and follow
March Rd. to Almonte. Drive through the town to County Road 29 and continue
west on Wolf Grove Road. Turn right on Ramsay Con.8. Follow to Camelon Road
and turn left. Follow Camelon  to Ramsay Con.7 and then north on Con. 7 to
Old Union Hall Road.  #283 is on your left.

Black-headed Grossbeak: Back at Almonte, go north on County Road 29 towards
Pakenham and then turn left on Cedar Hill Side Road.  At the " T"
intersection, turn right and follow  6th Con. Pakenham which turns into
Bellamy Road. #339 will be on your left.

Cheers,

Remy Poulin
Orleans, Ontario

=?iso-8859-1?Q?R=E9my_Poulin?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.