I finally had the chance to look for the male Eastern Towhee, at
about 11:45 I observed the male along the trail below the two compost
bins. The bird was sitting in a small bush when I saw it, but was soon
after flushed by some dogs and I didn't see it again.

Directions (from Bill Wilson's previous post): From the 401 Highway,
take Exit #278 -- Hwy 8/King Street through Preston, Cambridge.
Continue through the business section until you reach Bishop Street
(Zehrs plaza on one corner; Tim Horton's on other).  Turn right on
Bishop, go two blocks to Hamilton Street (L-shaped intersection).  Turn
right on Hamilton Street and proceed two blocks along Hamilton to the
intersection of Montrose Street.  Turn left on Montrose Street, proceed
for two blocks (Montrose becomes Rose Street) until you see the
playground and open area on the left just beyond the T-intersection with
Bernhardt Street.  Park and walk to the right-hand end of the swings
where you should see a trail that descends the treed slope.  At the base
of the slope, turn sharply to the left and proceed along the trail at
the base of the slope (same location as the Pine Warbler reported by me
in January 2002).  Locate 2 black compost barrels at the back of one of
the properties that abuts the slope.  The towhee has been observed in
the brush and stiff-stemmed vegetation along this slope.  There are
feeders in the backyards abutting the slope that attract a variety of
birds.  A RED-BELLIED WOODPECKER is observed most days.

Alternately, return to the trail at the base of the slope and walk south
toward the river until you reach the main trail along the river (Linear
Trail).  Proceed upriver on the trail.  The towhee has also been
observed scratching and feeding at the base of the shrubbery (e.g.
nine-bark) along this portion of the trail.  It may be anywhere within
this narrow strip of vegetation adjacent to the trail.  Once you reach
the log bench on the river's bank you have walked beyond where the
towhee has been seen.  This afternoon I observed the towhee
approximately 80 m downstream of the log bench. As well, Bald Eagles are
being reported fairly regularly along this reach of the river.

Good Birding,
Kenny Burrell
Heidelberg, Ont.

The Burrells <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>