Between 0830 and 11AM, and no doubt beyond, many birders witnessed 2 massive
flocks of SNOW BUNTINGS in the fields on the west side of Hall's Rd. Indeed,
3 of us were treated with upwards of 10,000 en masse on the roadway itself,
about 5m. in front of my car--they stayed there for 5 minutes, pecking away
at whatever--salt?? I was unable to detect any other species with them. It
was here that I guestimated "accurately" the number, just before seeing yet
another "swarm" of the same numbers nearby. Those who got out of their cars
could appreciate the sound of their rapid wingbeats as they flew in
never-ending circles low over the ground, stirring up grounded leaves.
I saw 7 C.REDPOLLS in the high trees along the north pathway.
Other birds seen--3 Red-winged Blackbirds, many Tree Sparrows, 3 Song
Sparrows, 1 Swamp Sp., 10 Juncos, 2 White-breasted Nuthatches, 8 Cardinals,
2 Blue Jays, many Chickadees, 20 House Finches, 2 Downy Woodpeckers, and 1
Rough-legged Hawk.

Hall's Rd. runs south from Bayly/Victoria, just east of Lakeridge Rd. in
southwest Whitby.

Doug Lockrey, Whitby, ON

"Doug Lockrey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

guidelines.