27 OFO members and friends assembled at Tim Horton's in Hepworth Saturday
morning. A caravan of 14 vehicles proceeded north on No. 6 and headed west
at Clavering. At the end of this road where the payment swings south was a
family of Brewer's Blackbirds and numerous Upland Sandpipers. In route to
Sauble Falls we had Pine Warblers, a male Scarlet Tanager and saw a Belted
Kingfisher on the Rankin River. From Sauble Falls we headed north and turned
off the highway at the south road to Oliphant stopping a few 100 metres down
the road. An adult Bald Eagle was observed soaring behind us. Heading north
along the shoreline a Great Egret was observed flying by.
At the Oliphant Fen numerous fen plants were seen including Butterwort,
sundew, Showy Lady slippers, bog candles, rose begonia and grass pink.
At the Rankin River on the Oliphant Road the Osprey was home on the nest and
Marsh Wrens were calling from the cattails. We proceeded over to No. 6 and
headed north to Isaac Lake. Here a Trumpeter Swan was seen. Several
Blue-winged Teal and a Green-winged Teal were observed. A rail tape was
played and a distant Virginia Rail was heard by some. The Sora tape also
produced a single reply but the calls an American Bittern in the background
of the tape brought out into plain sight an American Bittern. An adult
Black-crowned Night Heron flew by.
Sky Lake was rather choppy with the strong wing but a Pied-billed Grebe was
seen and a Caspian Tern was working the lake. We proceeded up the peninsula
on the back roads with some taking the scenic route to Black Creek
Provincial Park. A walk back along the old trail produced an Olive-sided
Flycatcher west of the beaver dam.
Since it was 5 pm we called it a day with the group list for the day at 98
species.
 Sunday Morning we reconvened at the Tobermory airport with still 18 members
and 10 vehicles. We headed off towards the dump and onwards to the Cape Herd
Road. Along the road we had good looks at Nashville Warblers and at least
two different Goshawks were seen, an adult male and an adult female did fly
bys. The lake was fairly quiet bird wise but was choppy as the wind was
still fairly strong. A Common Tern did come fairly close.
We headed over to No. 6 and south to the restaurant on the Cameron Lake Rd.
for coffee , etc. South of the Cameron Lake Rd. we stopped at a cattail
marsh on No. 6 and enticed a Sora out to the road which many saw at very
close range. Turning off No 6 at the Dorcus Bay Rd. we headed west toward
Singing Sands and had a pair of Sandhill Cranes right beside the road in the
ditch. Unfortunately the birds headed quickly back into the brush and only
those in the lead vehicles saw the birds.
We continued along the road towards Johnson's Harbor stopping here and
there. We did have a Morning Warbler calling consistently at one stop but
the bird was too far off the road to catch sight of it. Just after leaving
Johnson's Harbor some were fortunate to see a Pileated Woodpecker fly across
the road.
Lunch was at the Crane River Picnic Grounds where the black flys were
numerous. We explored the fern wall and then headed south on No. 6 stopping
to have a look at the rare purple stem cliff break. A walk around the Dyers
Bay junction alvar failed to produce many birds but we had a look at the
rare Robert's Fern. We headed east on the Dyer's Bay Rd. stopping to look at
the wall rue fern and then north on the Crane River Rd. At the big marsh a
Virginia Rail responded to the tape and came out for many to see. In the
distance to the west the call notes of a Sedge Wren could be heard
occasionally.
The strong wind made it impossible to heard much at the Clay-color Sparrow
location so we headed onwards to Lark Whistle and a leisurely walk in the
fabulous garden. Then we were off to Cabot's Head where we called it a day
at 4 pm.
For the weekend OFOers on the Bruce recorded approximately 114 species.

John Miles
Jarvis
1-519-587-5223
[EMAIL PROTECTED]