Dear Ontbirders,

Robert Wenting of the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) and chair of the Eastern Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Team asked the Ontario Field Ornithologists to post the following. "The Eastern Loggerhead Shrike Recovery Program in Ontario will be releasing about 35 Eastern Loggerhead Shrikes that were bred in field propagation/release cages on the upper Bruce Peninsula and near Smiths Falls. Needing to take weather on any particular day into consideration, we can't really give a specific day for releases, but we expect there will be two releases at each site during August. The shrikes will be banded and we anticipate they will begin slow migrations southward during August and September. It would be particularly helpful if birders were on the lookout for shrikes during August and September and report sightings to either the CWS toll-free line at 1-866-833-8888 or to Elaine Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> of the Wildlife Preservation Trust Canada at 1-519-836-9314."

Happy shrike watching,

Jean Iron / Ron Pittaway
Jean Iron
President, Ontario Field Ornithologists