Ron Fleming and I sought the bounty of last night's north winds on the
Eastern Lakeshore today and enjoyed over 60 species.
Thickson Woods had a very nice mixed flock feeding along the Lakeshore,
including 13 species of warbler, the best of which was a first Fall Prairie
Warbler.
Other species seen at Thickson included Scarlet Tanager, Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Great Horned
Owl, Coopers Hawk, Great Crested Flycatcher and Olive-sided Flycatcher. A
couple of Solitary Sandpipers were at the creek.
On the way to Cranberry Marsh, we stopped at Sobey's Pond and saw several
Baird's Sandpipers.
At Cranberry, we stopped at the south platform in time to see the Peregine
already reported by Doug Lockrey then walked to the beach where we had
another nice warbler flock of 11 species.

To reach Thickson's Woods exit from the 401 to Thickson Road South in
Whitby. The Woods are at the foot of Thickson Road, on the East side.

'Sobey's Pond' is a  flooded area south of the Sobey's warehouse in Whitby.
Exit the 401 at Brock Street and go south to Victoria Street and turn
right. Then, turn right at the second set of lights onto Gordon, then turn
left at the first road (Nordeagle). The Sobey's warehouse
will now be on your right side and the fields on your left.
(Note that there are now several more flooded areas a little further over to
the west side of this block).

To reach Cranberry Marsh, continue West on Victoria and turn south on Halls
Road, just past Lynde Shores.

Ian Cannell
Concord, Ontario.