Birders,

I hope this is an appropriate topic for this list.

In the past few years, there seems to have been an increase in reports of
Nelson's Sharp-tailed Sparrow in the fall in Ontario, Ohio, and Indiana.
But, the species remains casual (Review List) in Michigan.  In the 1950s,
researchers in southern Michigan captured and banded a number of (Nelson's)
Sharp-tailed Sparrows in spring (mainly April) while working in sedge marsh.
It is my impression that this is not the habitat the bird is being found in
during fall migration.  Perhaps birders are not searching the right habitat
here, and I was wondering if anyone could describe the habitat(s) where the
sparrows are being found in Ontario, which might provide insights on other
places to search for the species.

Thanks!

Allen Chartier
[EMAIL PROTECTED]