Hello Ontbirds people,

Apologies if much of the following is redundant (the weekly Ottawa area
summary was posted today). This report includes a few more details re: some
of the more interesting results of our Fall Bird Count, as well as a couple
of corrections to the summary which I reported to the Ottawa Bird Status
Line yesterday.

Please remember that all of these results are still "preliminary", and some
of the species and numbers may be adjusted if new information is
subsequently received by the 4 sector leaders.  The "final" report should
appear on the OFNC web site soon.

The Ottawa Field-Naturalists' Club 10th annual Fall Bird Count was held
from 3:00 PM - 3:00 PM, Sat. 16 Oct. - Sun. 17 Oct. This count covers the
entire Ottawa-Gatineau naturalists' area - a 50 k radius from the Peace
Tower on Parliament Hill.

Although the weather was not ideal (chilly temperatures compounded by
intermittent rain and sometimes strong SW winds), there was a good turn-out
of participants in all 4 sectors, and a heart-warming dinner was provided
for the compilation, by the OFNC Birds Committee at the Fletcher Wildlife
Garden on Sunday evening during the compilation.  Thanks to Terry Higgins,
Marilyn Ward, Jean Wylie (and Louise who again brought the excellent bread
and cheese - sorry I don't know her last name!) and to all who helped with
the compilation. Thanks also to the diligent sector leaders: Daniel
St-Hiliare (NE), Garry McNulty (NW), Bernie Ladouceur (SE), and Ken Allison
(SW).

A preliminary total of 136 species were recorded, with several record high
counts including Double-crested Cormorant, Turkey Vulture, Greater
White-fronted Goose, Ruddy Duck, Merlin, Black-bellied Plover, Greater
Yellowlegs, White-rumped Sandpiper, Pectoral Sandpiper, Wilson's Snipe,
Savannah Sparrow, Red-winged Blackbird, Common Grackle & Brown-headed
Cowbird.

A definite highlight was the number of SHOREBIRDS -- 15 species, the highest
ever for this Fall Count:

42 Black-bellied Plover
7 American Golden Plover
2 Semipalmated Plover
94 Killdeer
55 Greater Yellowlegs
10 Lesser Yellowlegs
2 Hudsonian Godwit
10 Sanderling
1 Least Sandpiper
72 White-rumped Sandpiper
100 Pectoral Sandpiper
95 Dunlin
1 Long-billed Dowitcher
17 Wilson's Snipe
1 American Woodcock

Locally rare species included:
1 Eurasian Wigeon in the NE sector (Quebec)
1 Great Egret in the SW sector at Shirleys Bay
2 Greater White-fronted Geese - one in the SE at Milton Rd and 1 in the SW
at Shirleys Bay
2 Hudsonian Godwits in the SW at Constance Bay
1 Red-headed Woodpecker in the SW at Constance Bay
2 Loggerhead Shrikes in the NE sector (Quebec) -1 in Cantley and 1 in the
Marais aux Laiches Ouest
1 Carolina Wren in the SW at Constance Bay

Several late species were also found, including American Bittern, Green
Heron, Osprey, Least Sandpiper, Long-billed Dowitcher, Red-eyed Vireo, Palm
Warbler, Common Yellowthroat, Grasshopper Sparrow.

Good Birding!
Chris Lewis
Ottawa
(For directions to specific locations for any of the aforementioned birds,
please e-mail me personally at [EMAIL PROTECTED] If I cannot provide
specifics, I can direct you to the sector leaders).