Hi all,
This afternoon of 27 October 2004 I birded the KFN property at the east end of
Amherst Island for two hours. Highlights included:

- 1 adult nonbreeding plumaged RED-NECKED PHALAROPE feeding in Lake Ontario
less than 1 metre from shore near the largest KFN pond.
- 9 species of waterfowl including 6 COMMON LOON, 1 BRANT and 100 RED-BREASTED
MERGANSER
- 5 species shorebirds total including 20 DUNLIN and 1 SANDERLING
- 10 AMERICAN PIPITS and 4 SNOW BUNTINGS

also of note was my first dark morph ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK of the year.

Good birding,
Bradley Davis
Kingston, Ontario

to get to Amherst Island:
Take exit 593 south from the 401 west of Kingston proceeding south on County
Road 4 to Millhaven. The ferry leaves from Millhaven and costs $5 round trip -
the ferry leaves Millhaven hourly on the half hour.

to get to the KFN property:
head east at the intersection off the ferry on Front Road, following it as it
turns south as Lower Front Road. Upon reaching the south shore of the island,
park at the corrals and walk east along the shoreline until you arrive at the
ponds. Waterfowl and shorebirds accumulate along the gravel bars beyond the
ponds.