While looking for spring migrants today I came across a KING EIDER along
the Lake Erie shore south of Hillman Marsh.  Location is 1.8 km S of the
south Hillman Beach parking lot, or exactly 0.5 km S of Concession Road
B.  It was with about 50 Common Goldeneye.

The bird is a male, and I think it is a second-winter bird (born in 2003)
-- quite black body plumage, pure white chest area, and bright orange
"knob" developing on the bill.

For Point Pelee this is significant record, since it is the first-ever
"true" winter occurrence for our area (prior records in December are, of
course, fall migrants).  Also, overall the species has not been recorded
at Point Pelee since 2002.

Also saw a compact flock of (6) male REDHEAD, all of which were sleeping
-- compared to all other ducks which were very active.  Plus a pair
nearby.  These are probably spring migrants, right in line with the
"average" spring arrival date of February 15 (n = 20) for our area -- see
Point Pelee Natural History News 1: 9 (2001) for additional details.

During the next 2-3 days I'm expecting a flood of spring migrants here.

Alan Wormington,
Leamington