Hi everyone

John Stirrat and I made the run up to Chelmsford today. When we arrived at about 9:40 am the GRAY-CROWNED ROSY FINCH was at the house, and we watched it and the PINE GROSBEAKS and COMMON and HOARY REDPOLLS on and off for about an hour. We also had a flyover of a COMMON RAVEN, making a gurgling water in a pipe sound that neither of us had heard before. Many thanks to the Somersets for being so hospitable.

I was able to get a few photos of the finch which can be found at http://www.pbase.com/carolmhorner/rarebirds

We tried for the GYRFALCON previously reported, with no luck.

Directions copied from Anne Anthony's post:

When arriving at Sudbury, coming north on highway 69, take the "new" Trans-Canada Highway 17 Bypass west. (Southwest Bypass) From the Trans-Canada Highway 17 west of Sudbury, just past the Lively turn-off, take Highway 144 north to Chelmsford. Continue through lights (at highway 35) north on County Road 15 and follow it past a big curve until you get to Montee Principale, in a small cluster of homes. Turn left at intersection in Montee Principale (opposite direction from the Sudbury Downs Race track) and follow to the end, where it curves off to right onto Seguin. The feeders are at the first house, number 374. Name on beautiful mailbox is Somerset.

Gryfalcon:
From the Southwest Sudbury Bypass turn north onto Southview drive (This is one east of Fielding and one west of Hwy 69) Southview goes along Kelly Lake and the falcon was seen hunting the ducks in the little bits of open water. One day it was seen sitting on the "blue" silo beneath the little "Eiffle Tower"

Carol Horner
dendroica at sympatico dot ca
Photo galleries at:
http://www.pbase.com/carolmhorner
Toronto, Ontario
Canada From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Sun Feb 6 17:45:03 2005