Hi fellow birders,
I birded the eastern part of Amherst Island last night and located 12 owls
in three hours. Waiting for the ferry at Millhaven, a dark-morph
ROUGH-LEGGEG HAWK flew in from Amherst Island, while a female NORTHERN
HARRIER flew out from the mainland towards the island. At the KFN-property
I found three SNOWY OWLS perching on fence posts and in trees, along with
another NORTHERN HARRIER, two light-morphed ROUGH-LEGGED HAWKS, a
RED-TAILED HAWK, and a NORTHERN GOSHAWK flying by. In the plantation
opposite the KFN-property, numerous RED-WINGED BLACKBIRDS and five COMMON
GRACKLES were gathering to roost.

Walking in to Owl Woods from the southern lakeshore along a row of pines
and spruces, I flushed two LONG-EARED OWLS and a RED-TAILED HAWK. In the
Jack Pine-plantation, I came across another flock of five LONG-EARED OWLS
roosting on the west side of the plantation. I did not have time to check
the Cedar groves close to the feeder, but I was not able to find any
BOREAL OWLS in the Jack Pines or the surrounding Cedars.

On my return towards the ferry near dusk, I spotted two hunting
SHORT-EARED OWLS just outside Stella.

Good birding,
Frode Jacobsen
Kingston