Every once in a while we are permitted to participate in an experience with
nature that can be described as inspirational or even spiritual.

This morning at about 6 a.m. I was walking to work south on Jarvis just below
Gerrard. I noticed a young girl in a baseball hat and on roller blades
examining what I thought was a discarded jogging shoe near the curb. Further
out in the southbound lane were the recent remains of an unfortunate gull that
had been hit by an earlier commuter.

As I came closer the jogging shoe became a Ring Billed Gull lying quietly near
the curb and staring at the remains 15 feet away. The young girl wanted to know
if this gull was mourning the loss of its mate. "It's just a gull that was
probably injured" She then said that she wanted to move the second bird to a
grassy spot for safety but didn't know how to pick it up. As I neared the bird,
it looked gently up at me and let me pick it up and move it to the grassy spot.
It didn't appear injured and quickly stood up and raised both wings . It didn't
fly but appeared to be standing watch over its fallen comrade. The young girl
asked again if I thought it was mourning the loss of a mate .

"It's just a gull."  I wonder ???