The Black-backed Woodpecker at the Hyde Tract was seen today, Mon. 10:25 am, by me and a young Belgian visitor to Canada. After 15 minutes it moved to another smaller tree to the south. After another 5 minutes or so it took a long flight to the south at about 10:45. We did not pursue it. On the way out, we met Hugh Currie and party and advised them of the location.

Directions:

To Hyde Tract: Take Hwy. 6 North to Safari Road. Go west on Safari Road from Hwy 6 about 14-15 km. Just before Hyde tract on the east side of it is a large marsh. Hyde Tract is on the south side of the road there is a parking lot located there. If you have gone west past Kirkwall Road, you have gone too far. Once in the parking lot, follow the main trail. The trail does split off once, but the main trail is apparent as it is larger. Keep on the right side of the trail following the main trail past the ruins of the old house. Keep going until you get to a large cement block located on the main trail. Take the trail on the left side. We then took the side trail that is on the right side about 120 metres from the Cement block. We found the bird about 130 meters down this trail in a tree on the right side of the path. It took the long flight to the south just before the trail takes a definite turn to the right. I agree with others that the easiest way to find the bird is to listen for it pecking on the trees in this area. If you get within 20 or 30 metres of it, you should be able to hear it and track it down. Thanks to others who found this life bird for us and gave such great directions.

Good birding!
Neil E. Taylor

If I keep a green bough in my heart, the singing bird will come." - Chinese
Proverb

"You must have the bird in your heart before you can find it in the bush" John
Burroughs (1908) essay: Art of Seeing Things

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.sentex.net/~tntcomm  ---Neil E. Taylor Web PAGE
http://www.sentex.net/~tntcomm/kwfn/index.htm  ---KWFN Web Page

Neil E. Taylor  1016 Wilson Ave., Kitchener, Ontario   N2C 1J3 Canada
Tel. (519) 893-6469

"In the end, we conserve only what we love, we will love only what we understand,
and we will understand only what we are taught."  -- Baba Dioum

I have a room all to myself; it is Nature.  It is a place beyond the
jurisdiction of human government. (Author unknown)

Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
(1803-1882)

INGENIO STAT SINE MORTE DECUS - "Distinction, with respect to nature, persists without end."