At about 3:15 p.m. today on the way home from Point Pelee and vicinity, I
spotted a very dark buteo perched high in a tree behind a factory ("Lanex")
located at 5000 Walker Road. I figured it was probably a dark morph
Rough-legged, a bird I really like, and suggested to my brother Robert that we
pull into the driveway to have a look at it. After getting it in the scope, I
was surprised to see that it was an adult "Western" Red-tailed Hawk. We could
clearly see the brick red tail with multiple thin dark bands, and the
upperparts and head were uniformly chocolate brown. After repositioning to get
a different angle, we could see that the belly was a creamy white. I guess it
would be an intergrade between a dark phase and light phase. Very beautiful! I
would think it may well hang around this area. It flew off to the north behind
other industrial properties as my brother was getting ready to photograph it.

  Randy Horvath, Windsor
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]