Greetings Ontbirders,

Here are the preliminary results of the 41st Presqu’ile CBC, held on Sunday, 18 December 2005

Thirty-two people took part in this year’s Presqu’ile CBC, finding a total of 77 species (plus 5 more in count week) and 14285 individuals, both of which are close to the average for the past decade. Diversity of waterbirds was much less than in recent years, but a good showing by landbirds, especially sparrows, of which we had 10 species, made up for the loss.

Weather
Temperature was from -2 to -6 C, wind was west at 5-15 kph, partly sunny, @ 25 cm of snow on the ground, small patches of open water inland, Presqu’ile Bay mostly frozen, Lake Ontario open but with shore ice, wild food fair to poor (few cones or buckthorn, mostly grapes left).

Rarities Included
CP Red-shouldered Hawk (5th time on count but first since 1977)
1 Chukar (introduced, but we thought we would start tracking them in case they catch on)
1 American Pipit (2nd ever)
1 Vesper Sparrow (3rd ever)
1 Savannah Sparrow (2nd ever)
2 Fox Sparrow (2nd ever)
1 Yellow-headed Blackbird (2nd ever)

High Counts
1182 Canada Goose (almost a record high)
344 Mute Swan (new high)
3 Bald Eagle (ties record)
868 Mourning Dove (almost a record high)
6 Barred Owl (new high, all seen hunting by day; some may be non- resident birds)
1050 American Crow (new high)
65 Horned Lark (new high)
1365 B-c Chickadee (3rd highest ever)
474 Dark-eyed Junco (new high)
62 Red-winged Blackbird (2nd highest)
67 Brown-headed Cowbird (2nd highest)

Low Counts:
2 Ruffed Grouse

Finches
4 Pine Grosbeak
2 Purple Finch
171 House Finch
2 White-winged Crossbill
32 Common Redpoll
38 Pine Siskin
225 American Goldfinch

Compilers:  John Blaney, Maureen Riggs, and Doug McRae

Cheers,

Doug McRae
P.O. Box 3010
Brighton, Ontario