I observed an adult golden eagle at 8:15 am on Jan. 13, 2006 on Fingal Line in
Elgin County.  It was observed at very close range.

  The bird was feeding on a road-kill raccoon in the middle of the road
immediately adjacent to the Talbot Estate property. Due to the hilly road, I
was only 40 feet away when I spotted it and immediately pulled to the side of
the road.  It continued feeding for a few moments before being frightened off
by a passing car.  It flew a short distance and perched in tree in the ravine.
I left the area in the hopes it would return to its breakfast.

  This is a relatively quiet road and the bird may still be in the area
provided road crews have not removed the racoon.

  Excuse my hyperbole, but this is my first close-up encounter with this
species and I am still in awe.  It was an absolutely magnificent bird!  An
auspicious beginning to Friday the 13th!!

  Melisse DeDobbeleer

  Directions:  From the 401, take Iona Road south to Fingal Line.  Turn right
on Fingal Line and proceed approximately 5 county roads south west.  You will
encounter a deep ravine with the Talbot Estate property on the opposite side.
The racoon is on the road.

Yahoo! Photos
 Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays,
whatever.