We have been observing an unusually large and extremely dark Red Tailed Hawk
in Mississauga.
I scoped the bird today and this is what I've found:
Very dark eyes
Yellow bill with dark tip
Looking face on it has a white "nub" at the top of the beak where it meets
the forehead
Very light tail feathers on the bottom, however the top feathers are Red
with the typical black horizontal line which seems to be rather bold
On the wing and from below the bird has light primaries and secondaries, the
rest are dark.
There are a very few head feathers that are showing white, with other very
small patches elsewhere.

I'm posting this as it's the largest RT Hawk I've ever seen as well as the
darkest.  Could it be "Harlan's"? or just a large immature?

It is usually located in the trees at the north west end of the field at the
following location:
Boarded by Burnhamthorpe, Confederation Parkway, Webb Drive and Grand Park -
I would suggest parking on Webb Drive and view from the sidewalk

access from 403 coming from the west, south onto Mavis, east onto
Burnhamthorpe, first light turn right (Grand Park), first 4 way stop turn
right (Webb Drive)
access from 403 coming from the east, south onto Hurontario turn right onto
Burnhamthorpe, turn left at Confederation Parkway (just west of the YMCA),
turn right at Webb Drive and go west

If anyone would like to join us, feel free to email and we'll pick a time
and day.

thanks
Sue & Dan Suess,
Mississauga

Mark - Is this something you'd prefer on the new chat line or is this an
appropriate posting?