Happy Spring Migration Ontbirders

Between 8:00 am to 8:30 am there was a single Ross’s Goose in with about 4000 Canada Geese at Petersen’s Sod Farm, along Snake Island Road and Manotick Station Road (northeast of this corner). It was still there when I left.

The bird easily disappears as it walks through the dips of the rolling sod field. Patience may be required. It may also help to view from different vantage points.

The location is South of Ottawa, along Hwy 6 (Snake Island Road), between the Rideau River (River Road/Hwy 19) and Bank Street (Hwy 31)
It is immediately west of Prescott Road (Hwy 25)
If you travel south on Bank Street, turn west (right) on Hwy 6 until you see the large sod field right after Prescott Road (Hwy 25). If you travel south on River Road (Hwy 19) turn east on Hwy 6 (two left turns).

In other news this morning, there is a Ringed Turtle Dove in the village of Russel. It is smaller than a Eurasian Collared Dove and has very little contrast in its plumage. It has many characters suggesting domestic origin. Please contact me if you’d like directions.

Cheerio

Tony Beck
158-B Woodridge Cr.,
Ottawa, Ont.