Good evening birders

 Today Margaret Liubavicus and I birded the Toronto Islands and despite the
forecast it was a nice day to be out, a little windy but not too bad.

 We did manage to find a good number of bird species spread thru-out The
Islands with pockets of birds here and there away from the wind. There are lots
of insects out now (some in clouds) for the birds to fatten up on and to get in
your eyes or mouth.

  It started out well at the Wards Island end with 7 Warbler species and great
views of a perched (in a tree) juvenile Peregrine Falcon and went up hill from
there. Following are some of our birds.

 Canvasbacks (still in the trout pond), Great Egret, the Peregrine Falcon,
Belted Kingfishers, Great-crested Flycatchers, E. Kingbird, Blue-headed and
Red-eyed Vireos, Carolina, House and Winter Wrens, 19 Blue-gray Gnatcatchers, 5
Swallow species (missed Bank), 18 Warbler species including 4 N. Parulas, Cape
May, Bay-breasted, Blackpoll, and Ovenbirds, Lincoln's Sparrow, 4 male Scarlet
Tanagers, 28 Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, and 6  Bobolinks and Margaret found 2
male Indigo Buntings.

  Another good reason to bird the very UNDERBIRDED islands.

DIRECTIONS
TORONTO ISLANDS (Wards Island to Hanlans Point - without side trips is 5 km)
To get to the Toronto Islands from Queen and Yonge Streets on the TTC. If your
on the subway

southbound stay on it and get off at Union Station, walk south about 1 km to
the ferry docks at the

foot of Bay Street at Queens Quay and you are there. If in an auto on the
Gardener Expressway

or on Lakeshore Blvd, then exit at Bay Street and drive south to Queens Quay,
there are lots of

parking lots nearby (fee).

There is a fee for using the island ferries ($6.00 adult / $3.50 for seniors &
students) and to find out the sailing times you can phone (416) 392-8193. There
are washrooms on the islands as well as the city side at the ferry docks and
you can pick up a schedule at the docks or check on line.

The 1st boat to Wards Island (my preferred starting point) is 6:35 am and the
2nd is 7:00 am Monday

to Friday.

The 1st is at 6:35 am and the 2nd boat is at 7:15 am on Saturday, Sunday and
Holidays.

The 1st boat to Hanlans Point is 8:00 am and the 2nd boat is at 8:30 am Monday
to Friday.

The 1st is at 8:15 am and the 2nd boat is at 9:15 am on Saturday, Sunday and
Holidays.

If arriving in early am you must obtain your ticket from a machine just inside
the gate so be sure to have $1.00 and $2.00 and/or 25 cent coins before you
arrive at the docks as there is no place to get change and the machine does not
make change. (There is a change machine there if you want to chance it).

There are coffee shops across from the ferry docks in the building on the
northwest corner and they are open early. food and beverages on The Islands
when open are very expensive i.e. soft drink $3.00 plus.

For a detailed ferry schedule check the following web site.

For a detailed ferry schedule check the following web site.

http://www.toronto.ca/parks/island/springschedule.htm

PS

There is a map of the Islands at each of the Island side ferry docks and the
City side.

Another PS

If you have access to PDF then I can send an Island map if you contact me in
private.

Norm Murr

Richmond Hill, ON

"Eliminate annoying spam!
My mailbox is protected by iHateSpam, the #1-rated spam buster."

http://www.ihatespam.net