Just an update: the adult male Dickcissel was still being seen on 4th
Concession north of Sandford until at least noon.  Many thanks to Jim
Fairchild, Charlie Eadie, and Mike Mc. for keeping me focused on the power (or
phone?) line running along the west side of the road, just north of the
driveway and across from the smallish red maple.  The bird took its time coming
to that spot (i.e. it was at least 20 minutes for me)  but patience was a
virtue: it eventually came down from the farmhouse area and sang for us right
there at the roadside. The bird was either not singing or, more likely, its
song was being blown away from us by the restless wind up until then.

  For those who want to add a few more species there, note that less than a km
further north (at the bridge) there were several other birds, not as sought
after by the paparazzi, but still pleasant additions to the day list: Green
Heron, Osprey (6!), Baltimore Oriole, Indigo Bunting, GC Flycatcher, Catbird,
B&W Warbler, Cm. Yellowthroat, White-Thr. Sparrow, etc.

  Charlie & Mike: the damsel-fly we were looking at was a River Jewelwing.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  Directions:  I took Green Lane all the way eastward from Newmarket, then
turned north on Concession 4 when I got to Sandford.  It was about a 25 minute
drive.  The directions from Toronto are as follows:

  Uxbridge is north of Ajax (and east of Newmarket).  It can be reached by
Brock Road, Exit 399 from Hwy.401. Brock Road is Durham Region Rd. 1 - go north
on it to Hwy.47 which then runs northeast into Uxbridge. Follow Hwy.47 through
town to turn
left (north) on Main Street (once again Durham Region Rd.1). After 7.5 km,
turn left (west) on Ashworth Road, then north on the 4th Conc.Rd. for 2.3km
to #11099.  The bird is being seen around the farmhouse there and in the field
between it and the road but does, as mentioned, come to the roadside too.