Hi Everyone
The Shirley's Bay dyke area continues to offers good shorebirds viewing. Today, July 20th, I observed 108 adult Lesser Yellowlegs, 4 Greater Yellowlegs, 11 Solitary Sandpiper, 3 adult Least Sandpiper, 12 Killdeer, 1 adult Semipalmated Plover and along the dyke, 16 Spotted Sandpipers. At Deschenes Rapids there was a good concentration of gulls both resting and feeding including 3 Lesser Black-backed Gull, 1 ad., 1 first summer, 1 sec. summer, 57 Great Black-backed Gull, various ages and I also noted 68 Double-crested Cormorant with many sitting in trees/shrubs along the Deschenes side of the rapids.
                                                               good birding
                                                           Bruce

Directions: Shirley's Bay:  From Ottawa take Hwy. 417 west to the
Moodie Drive exit and turn north (right) on  Moodie Drive and continue to
Carling Ave. Turn left at Carling Ave. and follow Carling to Rifle Road.
Turn right (north) on Rifle Rd. Park at the lot at the end (boat launch).
Walk back to the road, and continue through the gate on the Department of National
Defence property. There is a trail on your right (clearly marked with
vehicle "No Entry" signs) which heads into the woods, and, eventually to the dyke.

**** PLEASE NOTE**** YOU MUST OBTAIN PERMISSION FROM THE RANGE CONTROL
OFFICE BEFORE ENTERING THE DYKE AREA-- Call (613) 991-5740 and request
permission to visit the dyke area for birding.

If you require any information on directions please email me
privately.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538