There were some migrants of at least local interest in the northwest part of
York region this weekend.  Yesterday afternoon on the west side of 2nd
Concession just north of Newmarket, Bruce Brydon had two BLACK-BELLIED PLOVERS.
 I drove up there this afternoon but the plovers were gone.  As consolation
there were three GREATER YELLOWLEGS and a dozen Killdeer.

  Since I was about halfway to Keswick at that point, I continued northward to
check the west end of Ravenshoe Road, which runs along the southern perimeter
of that town.  Just west of property #562 in a big puddle on the north side of
the road there was a surprisingly good selection of birds that included 18
AMERICAN GOLDEN PLOVER, 3 BLK.-BELLIED PLOVER, 16 PECTORAL SANDPIPERS, 13
DUNLIN, 2 LSR. YELLOWLEGS, and a flock of about 30 AMERICAN PIPITS.  Further
west, close to where Ravenshoe Rd. dead ends at the Holland River, I turned
onto a desolate fragment of Yonge St. and drove to its muddy southern terminus.
 As I got out of my van I flushed an AMERICAN BITTERN.  It flew south into the
huge marsh area there.

  Returning to Newmarket via Holland Landing, I did a quick stop at the sewage
lagoons.  There was very little bird activity, but the last cell held 72
BONAPARTE'S GULLS and about 30 GW TEAL.  As I was leaving I observed a COOPER'S
HAWK circling high overhead.  I stopped at the Cawthra Mulock reserve on
Bathurst St. in northwest Newmarket and also found it to be quiet, but I did
manage to find two GB HERONS, numerous kingets of both species, several
White-throated Sparrows, a PILEATED WOODPECKER, and 7 HERMIT THRUSHES feeding
on wild grapes with a flock of about 60 robins.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  DIRECTIONS: The 2nd Concession is the northern extension of Main St. out of
Newmarket.  The puddle where Bruce had the plovers and I had the G. yellowlegs
is on the west side of the road, about a km north of Queensville Sdrd.

  Ravenshoe Road, as mentioned, runs along the southern edge of the town of
Keswick.
  It is accessed by taking Leslie St. north from Newmarket.  At the stoplights
where there is a gas station and a Country Style Donuts, turn left and follow
Ravenshoe down the hill, past the ball diamonds, past Lake and Canal streets,
and out into the flat expanse of the vegetable fields.  (This area is a good
place to check in winter for Snow buntings, Rough-legged hawks, and Snowy Owls.)

  The Holland Landing lagoons are at the eastern terminus of Cedar Ave., a
short street that runs east from Yonge St. in the north part of Holland
Landing.  This section of Yonge Street runs south from Queensville Sdrd.  The
Cawthra Mulock reserve is on the west side of Bathurst, just north of Green
Lane in NW Newmarket.