Hi everyone
Just back from a quick visit to Amherst Island and Presqu'ile. Yesterday, I birded Amherst Island late in the afternoon and observed 15+ Long-eared and 1 Northern Saw-whet Owl in the "Owl Woods". I decided to stay until dark and it paid off! I observed 21 Short-eared Owls at three locations including east end of the island (K.F. N. property) and just south of Stella. Also at the east end I had 1 Snowy and 1 Great Horned Owl. Afterwards I birded the west end of the island and squeaked in 8 Long-eared from a red cedar woods. They reacted within seconds and I had to take cover by my car as I watched in amazement as the owls flew within a foot of me! At one point I could see 7 individuals near the car! Today, I birded Presqu'ile P.P. and found the following species of note: 1 Dunlin, 1 Black-bellied Plover (Gull Island) and 1 Northern Shrike and 2 Red Crossbill (Owen Point). If you require additional information, please email me privately.

                                                        good birding, Bruce

Directions:  Exit off Hwy. 401 at exit 593 (County Road 4, Camden East)
and drive south to the very end (Millhaven).  Turn right on Hwy. 33 and
drive 100 metres until you see the sign for the Amherst Island ferry. The
ferry (20 minute trip) leaves the mainland on the half hour and leaves the
island on the hour. Cost is $6.00 round trip. There are no gas stations on
the island.
There are restrooms on the ferry, and at the island ferry dock.
The East End K.F.N. property is at the easternmost part of the island on the
east side of the Lower Forty Foot Road.

Directions:  Presqu'ile is best reached by taking Cty Rd. 30 south from
Hwy 401 (exit 509) through the town of Brighton.  Once in town, follow the
Provincial Park signs.

Bruce Di Labio
400 Donald B. Munro Drive
P.O.Box 538