Here is a summary of the Bradford-West Gwillimbury Christmas Bird Count from
Sat. Dec. 30th.
The day began with an ice-snow combination which fell for about 1 hr. and then
the remainder of the day
was partly cloudy with temp. of  zero degrees. Seventeen participants took part
in the field with two
additional reports coming from local feeder watchers. Still water was partly
frozen and Lake Simcoe
was mainly open with some ice build-up along the shore. NW winds forced many of
the waterfowl to congregate
on the eastern side of the lake just outside the count boundary.

New Species for Count:
Carolina Wren - 1 (DeGrassi Point - Innisfill Twshp. Line 3)
Belted Kingfisher - 1 (Lefroy - Innisfill Twshp.)
White-winged Crossbills - 11 (14th Line of New Tecumseth west of Hwy. 27)

New Highs for the Count:
Merlin - 3 (2)
Northern Harrier - 6 (4)
Bufflehead -7  (6)
Red-breasted Merganser - 31 (10)
Red-breasted Nuthatch - 20 (17)

Three Red-bellied Woodpeckers were seen, tying the previous record.

Thanks to a great group for participating on a successful count.
Peter Wukasch