On my way in for a visit with my parents in Stoney Creek late Saturday
afternoon, I made a quick stop at Woodland Cemetary to scope the open water of
the bay between Hamilton and Aldershot.  Perched in a tree on Carroll's Point
was a pair of immature Bald Eagles.
  One eventually took flight and spent some time hassling a Herring Gull,
giving me some decent scope views.  Both eagles appeared to be 2nd year birds
in that "white-belly II" stage as Clark and Wheeler describe it in Hawks of
North America.  There were over 100 Common Mergansers swimming nearby and, as I
was leaving, a Belted Kingfisher rattled by the edge of the bluff.

  I crossed the Skyway Bridge and drove up to Vinemount above Stoney Creek in
hopes of seeing some Short-eared Owls on Tenth Line but couldn't remember if
they'd been seen around Mud Street or near the railway tracks north of Green
Mountain Rd.  I drove the general area and saw at least 20 Red-tailed Hawks,
then did a short walk along the Dofasco Trail beside the railway tracks.  At
the western end of the big berm, not far from the little pedestrian bridge, I
was surprised to see and hear an Eastern Meadowlark making buzzy calls from the
top of a shrub.  Looking south I also observed three Northern Harriers and a
male American Kestrel.  I would have waited around for dusk but three
snowmobiles whizzed past me and the No Motorized Vehicles sign, leaving me in a
wake of fumes and noise that kind of spoiled the mood.

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  Woodland Cemetary is accessed from Plains Road in Burlington.  Drive to the
RBG headquarters are and turn toward the bay.  There are numerous roads
quartering the cemetary; take the ones that go close to the water, park and
scope.

  The Vinemount area is accessible from Hwy. 20 out of Stoney Creek.  Drive up
the escarpment and take Ridge Road eastward once you get to the top.  Drive
past Devil's Punch Bowl and keep going until you get to Tenth Road.  Turn south
and drive to the RR tracks.  The Dofasco Trail is right there.  Green Mt. Road
is a the next east-west concession.  You can turn west there, then south again
to get to Mud Road.  Eighth Road heading back to the escarpment edge was busy
with raptors.  I didn't see any Rough-legs but wouldn't be surprised to find
some among the many Red-tails.