>From Tuesday afternoon to Thursday I spent time in the Fisherville area
>attempting to photograph the Short-eared Owls.  Although I counted up to 15
>roosting in different locations they did not fly either evening before the sun
>went below the cloud bank on the western horizon.  At one point 12 were seen
>in leafless trees but they stayed there until everyone left!

Several times I thought I was seeing Snow Buntings or Horned Larks in fields
but each time they turned out to be flocks of American Tree Sparrows.

I took great care not to flush the owls as the weather was bitterly cold and
windy.

I saw only one Northern Harrier and did see 6 light phase Rough-legged Hawks on
the 5th Concession.

The owls were roosting in trees from #119 Concession 6 to past #373.  >From
Toronto take Hwy 6 South at Hamilton to Hagersville.  At the lights in
Hagersville turn left onto Line 20 to Hwy 53, right,  to Concession 6.  Turn
left and drive along looking in all spruce, cedar and pine trees.

Eleanor Kee Wellman
"All Things Wild & Wonderful"
Box 823, Bala, ON, CA
P0C 1A0