Not sure if this counts as a rarity in Ontario, but it is a bird I don't
see often.  In fact, I think it is a first for me in Ontario.  An adult
Red-headed Woodpecker was seen today (Thursday, May 10) in Erindale Park
in Mississauga.  It was at the northern end of the Park.  Also seen were
several Red-breasted Grosbeaks in the same area.  These birds (and many
others) were observed while walking with Rita Schulze, teacher of
Riverwood's Education Naturally program, and a class of 22 fourth
graders.  We all had a good look at these birds.

The easiest way to reach this location is to go to Riverwood and park in
the angler's parking lot.

*         From Hwy 403, take the Mavis Road Exit.

*         Go south on Mavis Road to Burnhamthorpe Road West and turn
right.

*         Take Burnhamthorpe Road to The Credit Woodlands.  There are
traffic

lights at this intersection.  Turn into Riverwood Park on the north side
of Burnhamthorpe Road at the intersection.

*         Take the very first left turn immediately after turning into
Riverwood. The road turns quickly to gravel and you will go down a hill
to the anglers' parking lot.

*         Exit the parking lot on foot at the south end and go right.
After a short distance you will reach the Culham Trail.  Go left and
walk under Burnhamthorpe Road.  (If you go right, you will be in
Riverwood Park, which also has excellent birding.)

*         Continue following this Trail a couple hundred metres.  The
area where the Red-headed Woodpecker was seen is just before you reach
the pond on your left side as you walk south.

*         You can also enter Erindale Park from its south end on Dundas
but you will have a much longer walk.however, it is good birding all
along the trail.  You may also see some beaver activity near the south
end of Erindale.