Over the past two weeks Evening Grosbeaks have continued to visit Lorena
Campbell's feeders in Willow Beach, which is located just west of Jackson's
Point on the south shore of Lake Simcoe.  My timing for these grosbeaks was off
today (had to settle for Pine Siskins) but I did happen upon three female Pine
Grosbeaks several kms south of this location.  The latter grosbeaks were
perched in a tree on the west side of Kennedy Road, about a km south of
Baseline Road, south of green sign #26121.  Between this location and Metro
Road I stopped to watch a flock of 49 Wild Turkeys foraging in a field on the
west side of Kennedy, roughly across from the fenced off hydro station at green
sign #26505.  Three of the turkeys were feeding in a tangle of wild grapes, up
in the vines.  A hunter in full camo was perched in a high seat at the edge of
the woodlot, apparently as put off by my presence as I was at his.

  Both Willow Beach and Franklin Beach held numerous waterfowl - mainly Canada
Geese -but I counted 33 Common Loons and 11 Horned Grebes during several stops.

  On the way back to Newmarket I checked out the Holland Landing area.  There
was one male Hooded Merganser spicing up the otherwise monotonous ranks of
Canada Geese at Soldier's Bay (north side of Queensville Sdrd.) and, at the
northern terminus of Bathurst Street (green sign #21535) a female Merlin was
intently watching a field full of Snow Buntings (approx. 300 birds).

  Ron Fleming, Newmarket

  York Region is between Toronto and Barrie, running south from the southern
shoreline of Lake Simcoe.